This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item we may receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services that we believe will add value to our readers. To read our full affiliate disclosure please visit our disclosure page, which can be found here.
This is such a fun and fabulous BBQ Jackfruit Pulled “Pork” Sandwich. Many love the flavor and texture of this sandwich. I provide as much information, tips and tricks to create your ultimate allergy-friendly, plant-based Pulled “Pork” Sandwich. Enjoy!
I am so excited to have BBQ cooking parties. We will show you different ways to use this recipe in other main courses. To enjoy these BBQ cooking parties, sign up for our FBR Home Cooking Party Package. Stay tuned for more BBQ fun ideas!!!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO KNOW:
Eliminate or modify any ingredients to accommodate your dietary restrictions.
This BBQ jackfruit recipe is Allergy-Friendly:
FREE OF: Gluten, Oats, Soy, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Fish, Gum, Oil, Shellfish, Starch, Yeast
Use suggested ingredients and ALL FARR BETTER RECIPES are:
Plant-Based, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Wheat-Free with most No Added Salt
I try really hard to find you products that have No Oil, No-MSG, Organic and that are Non-GMO. You can conveniently order them on my website.
Click the underlined ingredient links and photos below that will show you valuable information like;
♦ how to prep the ingredients
(wash all produce, soak or marinate, etc…)
♦ what cut is preferred for each recipe
(minced, diced, chopped, sliced, etc…)
♦ how to prepare the ingredients
The ingredient links will also provide the health benefits, nutrients, and resources that can help accommodate illnesses, diseases, autoimmune deficiencies, and food allergies.
Some symbols to look for when shopping for ingredients:
I want to provide as much as I can to make cooking fun and easy.
Click on the equipment photos and underlined links to see what I like to use when making these delicious recipes. Included in the links are eco-friendly details about the product and easy ordering options if you need to add these to your kitchen collection.
I have done a lot of research to find highly rated healthy products. I’m not afraid to use equipment to make cooking fun and easy!
So what makes the Farr Better Than Pulled “Pork” ingredients so amazing?
Mushrooms or Jackfruit as your meat substitute
White Wine Vinegar
Feel free to include these wonderful ideas to make it into a sandwich:
Buns or Bread (see label for ingredients)
Farr Better Oil-Free Coleslaw
Dairy-free Cheese (see label for ingredients)
Dairy-free Mayo (see label for ingredients)
Farr Better Butter (see label for ingredients)
Now let’s prepare this delicious meal.
In large frypan/skillet on medium hight-heat add 1/2 cup vegetable broth, garlic, onion, bell pepper (I like the flavor of the green bell pepper, but pick your favorite). Stir frequently for 5-7 minutes until translucent and tender.
Chopped Green Pepper (or add your favorite one)
Meatless Option 1. Prepare Shredded Mushrooms
The king oyster mushrooms tend to shred the best.
For the king oyster mushrooms also called; king oysters, French horn mushrooms, king trumpet, royal trumpet, king brown mushrooms. On the stem, use a fork to create shreds and just pull through it and you’ll see the mushrooms start to come apart into the strands.
But other great options work such as maitake, chanterelle, morels, shiitake, porcini, and enoki. With other mushroom options, simply hold one fork still in the center of your mushroom and use a second fork to pull the shreds/chunks apart.
Meatless Option 2. Shredded Jackfruit
Drain canned jackfruit. Add to a 2nd frypan/skillet on medium-high heat 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes until soft.
Use veggie burger chopper/jackfruit shredder or potato masher to chop and shred pieces. It looks like shredded pork/chicken. Mash, stir and cook for about another 5 minutes until hot and tender.
Use a small mixing bowl to stir together sauce ingredients.
Cooking Option 1. Bake
Add sauteed ingredients, shredded mushrooms or jackfruit and sauce into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish
Stir together gently the Pulled “Pork” Mixture
Bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes, cover with Silicone Baking Lid. If you don’t have a silicone lid, use a cookie sheet. We avoid using foil for health reasons. I noticed this makes the recipe tastes better the longer you cook it because the flavor absorbs perfectly.
Cooking Option 2. Stovetop
In frypan/skillet over medium-high heat, add sauteed ingredients, shredded mushrooms or jackfruit, and sauce. Cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally until heated through.
Topping and Assembly Options
Option 1. Bake buns in the oven at 350⁰ F. on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes to get buns toasted. You can also stick buns or sliced bread in the toaster.
Option 2. Apply Farr Better Butter to toasted bun or bread for addition fun flavor.
Assembly: Now add your Farr Better Than Pulled “Pork” ingredients onto the bun or sliced bread.
Option 3. Add a slice of your favorite dairy-free cheese slice or shreds.
Option 4. A beautiful complement to this meal is to enjoy our famous and most delicious Farr Better Oil-Free Coleslaw.
FBR “Topping Option” ideas: Check these out and let us know what you think.
Sliced cucumbers and red onions.
On the bun or bread spread our creamy Farr Better Oil-Free Mayonnaise or our preferred dairy-free mayo purchase options.
Let us know if you find other fun options to make this meal pop!
Did you know with this recipe format you can change the serving size which will change your ingredient quantity?
Farr Better Than Pulled "Pork" Sandwich
- 1 cup vegetable broth divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 each onion chopped
- 1/2 each green bell pepper chopped
PICK BETWEEN 2 MEAT SUBSTITUTE OPTIONS
- 3/4 cup Farr Better Ketchup or use organic ketchup
- 3 tbsp sugar substitutes Coconut Palm Sugar/Coconut Sugar
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp stoneground mustard
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke Flavor choices; hickory or mesquite
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ground
- 1/4 tsp salt substitutions
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste (optional)
- 1/8 tsp chili powder or to taste (optional)
- 1 bun Little Northern Bakehouse buns Cut calories and use 1/2 a bun like me
- 2 slices Little Northern Bakehouse bread Cut calories and use 1 slice like me
- 1/4 cup Farr Better Oil-Free Coleslaw Click ingredient link to see recipe on FBR website
MORE OPTIONS TO COMPLETE THIS MASTERPIECE
- 4 pieces red onion thinly sliced
- 3 slices cucumbers sliced, baby cucumber
- 1 slice dairy-free cheese You have choices, American, Provolone, Mozzarella, Smoked Gouda and so many more options
- 1 teaspoon dairy-free mayo Option: Spread on toasted bun or bread. Click ingredient link to see recipe on FBR website
- 1/2 teaspoon Farr Better Butter Option: Spread on toasted bun or bread. Click ingredient link to see recipe on FBR website.
- Prepare to wash the vegetables thoroughly with Earth's Natural Fruit & Vegetable Wash to clean 95% or more of the chemicals and toxins off your produce. Click the link to see more details and also more information is listed below.
SAUTE INGREDIENTS IN SKILLET
- In a large frypan/skillet over medium high-heat sauté 1/2 cup vegetable broth, garlic, onion, green pepper (pick your favorite) for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally until translucent and tender.
PREPARE MUSHROOMS OR JACKFRUIT
- MUSHROOMS - Shred mushrooms: The king oyster mushrooms tend to shred the best. For the king oyster mushrooms also called; king oysters, French horn mushrooms, king trumpet, royal trumpet, king brown mushrooms. On the stem, use a fork to create shreds and just pull through it and you'll see the mushrooms start to come apart into the strands.But other great options work such as maitake, chanterelle, morels, shiitake, porcini, and enoki. With other mushroom options, simply hold one fork still in the center of your mushroom and use a second fork to pull the shreds/chunks apart.
- JACKFRUIT - Drain canned jackfruit. Add to a 2nd frypan/skillet on medium-high heat 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes until soft.Use veggie burger chopper/jackfruit shredder or potato masher to chop and shred pieces. It looks like shredded pork/chicken. Mash, stir and cook for about another 5 minutes until hot and tender.
- While cooking, In a small mixing bowl add all sauce ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
BAKE OR COOK ON STOVETOP
- BAKING OPTION - Preheat oven at 350⁰ F. Add the sauteed ingredients, shredded mushrooms or jackfruit into a 9 x 13 deep baking dish and stir, mixing thoroughly. Cover baking dish with Silicone Baking Lid. If you don't have a silicone lid, you can use a flat cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. FBR HINT: Baking makes this recipe taste better the longer you cook it because the favor absorbs perfectly.
- STOVETOP COOKING OPTION - In frypan/skillet over medium-high heat, add all the ingredients and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally and until heated through.
- Bun or Bread Option: Bake buns in the oven at 350⁰ F. on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes to get buns toasted. You can also stick buns or sliced bread in the toaster.
- Option: Apply Farr Better Butter to toasted bun or bread for additional fun flavor.
- Assembly: Add Farr Better Than Pulled "Pork" ingredients onto the buns or sliced bread. Add your favorite dairy-free cheese or shreds and our famous Farr Better Oil-Free Coleslaw.
- FBR "TOPPING OPTION" IDEAS: Check them out and let us know what you think. Sliced cucumbers and red onions. On the bun or bread spread our creamy Farr Better Oil-Free Mayonnaise or our preferred dairy-free mayo purchase options. Let us know if you find other ones to be delightful.
- You will want to eat 2 of them but that sends you over the top. As we learned, we can't stop. Enjoy my friends!!!
IT’S FARR BETTER TO EDUCATE YOURSELF:
The following ingredients found on a label indicate the presence of milk protein. All labels should be read carefully before consuming a product, even if it has been used safely in the past. Today’s awareness is Butter — artificial butter, artificial butter flavor, butter, butter extract, butterfat, butter-flavored oil, butter solids, dairy butter, natural butter, natural butter flavor, whipped butter indicate the presence of milk protein which we avoid! That’s why I created a “Farr Better Butter”.
Remember if you have an allergy to an ingredient, eliminate it from the recipe.
Special Note: If you have severe allergies, find ingredients made from an allergy safe facility. Manufacturers must state that information on the product.
Converting from a “meat a saurus” life style to a vegan lifestyle I found many changes of course and I still crave the flavors I was so used to for more than 50 years! And this recipe gave me a guilt free flavor from the past! This recipe is something I can have as a vegan and has helped me to loose 18 pounds in 2 months. BTW once the gluten free buns are toasted they are almost as good as any other bun!
The Plant based lifestyle really turned out good for me as I have now lost 30 pounds and feel great. Everything that I have tried from this website has tasted great and shown me that just because i gave up meat and dairy I did not have to give up flavor!
Thank you for sticking with the allergy-friendly plant-based recipes. They make you Feel Good and Enjoy Life!!